Everyone has great dreams and ambitions, but not everyone has a structured game plan. I accept that given the unpredictability of the environment surrounding us, it’s practically impossible to formulate “the ideal strategy”. But, in my humble opinion, this is never an excuse for not planning short-term objectives that could eventually lead towards achieving one’s ambition. The best way to start organising future goals could be, perhaps, to start thoroughly researching the past successes, failures and more importantly the decisions that we experienced.

One thing people would be surprised to know about me is that I am ‘a Civil Engineer and a Chemistry Graduate’ by qualification, ‘Oracle Database Administrator’ by profession but now, aspiring to become an MBA. I simply perceive these career changes as just advancements and I consider that I have been hitting my priorities right. I intend to comprehend my full potential in every aspect of my professional career; consequently, my short-term goals have been evolving over the years. However, my long-term dream has remained the same. In my second year of college, I decided to leave behind the civil/chemistry academia and focus on IT skills to become a DBA. It is not unusual for engineers with non-computer science background to carry out such shifts, but to me the decision was not so obvious. I had ruled out options such as MS/PhD that could narrow my career options and deny the generalist perspective. In contrast, the DBA career seemed to provide the perfect broad focus that I needed. I was thoroughly impressed with the fact that Information Management is a critical aspect that a firm has to effectively deal with, for survival. Consequently, I discovered that no other immediate career as the DBA could couple as much, with my skills, before I stride towards my ambition.

I knew that this career change would be an uphill task for any fresher, especially for one with a non-computer science background. Companies rarely invest in inexperienced DBAs because the DBA tasks are highly critical and even a slightest mistake can cost millions. The risks that I, as a fresher, won’t find a job were high. But despite all the threats, I decided to move ahead and carefully designed my game plan. I pursued numerous electives and projects to diversify my IT skills. I also had the opportunity to instruct graduate level senior students as a professional assistant for a database related course. Finally, the DBA certification facilitated me the crucial breakthrough. The very fact that only experienced professionals pursue this and that I was able to clear it in record time, right during my college tenure, helped me sell myself as a competitive DBA. And now, with around three years of experience as a DBA, I trust that an MBA would be the next perfect priority that can significantly accelerate my dream.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home