The MBA Admission is more comparable to the dating process. Whether that be dating or admission, in order to find a better match, you should establish “fit” with both the concerned parties. Each BSchool has it’s own trait and it’s essential that, if you believe that’s the right school for you, you must highlight these traits in your application. This is possible only by researching the school rigorously. Blogs, message boards, alumni and current students may be valuable resources.

But as a rule of thumb, every school looks for one common characteristic : "Leadership". Schools expect their students to have demonstrated leadership abilities in the past and present. Of course, they do understand that Leadership is not just leading people but also managing extra curricular activities, innovating, teaching, managing multiple assignments, handling pressure, etc.

To me, my college experience provided me with plenty of such opportunities and I did highlight them on my applications. The five-year tenure provided me the best flexibilities to capitalize on non-academic activities. The "General Secretary" responsibility had put me in charge of the finances and administration of 30+ student run clubs and departments. On the job, I had to manage large groups of people and conduct events as businesses that would generate profits. The council meetings and general body meetings served as boardroom wars, helping me understand people and processes better.

The university operates two semesters and students travel home twice a year for vacations. Transit planning was traditionally outsourced to a third-party student, approved by the Institute and almost every student runs his travel requirement through this facility. In an effort to improve the transparency of financial transactions, I took it over and integrated with the activities of union council. Transiting 5000 students was no easy task and I had to group a team of 12 students to run this effort. The entire process embraced two important stages: One, having the desired train tickets reserved in accordance with the student requests and two, arranging buses to get to the nearest major railway station. Managing the information provided by students and minimizing discrepancies were the most demanding rudiments. The effort involved managing heavy finances and strategic relationships with Indian Railways and Roadways.

My enthusiastic attitude helped me build better relationships and the fact that I never hesitate to voice my opinion, served as the perfect supplement. I have eventually understood that leadership is the ability to break down complex problems into actionable fragments and drive the team by communicating the vision clearly. I have also understood that a leader must accurately define the roles and responsibilities of individual members in his team. Delegating responsibilities is important because it not only instigates involvement among the players, but also encourages their leadership capabilities and I view this as the success of the group on the long run.

I am sure that every MBA prospective student would have sweet leadership experiences. Never forget to highlight them on your application even you are not explicitly asked.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home