It’s almost certain that one would find things difficult converting applications to admission offers, if he has no idea of why he needs an MBA. Perhaps, “Why MBA” is the most important question that I had to explain as part of the whole application process. And honestly, entire application process helped me realise my short-term goals and where I should be heading up to.

I am sure every MBA aspirant will have great dreams and am no different. Ambitiously, I aspire to establish not for profit ventures and associations, operating similar to those of profit-businesses, but measuring profitability in terms of social impact. I chose a path that allowed me to develop problem-solving skills both as a manager and team player. The General Secretary/transit planning experience at BITS, co-ordinating of medical camp and sporting events at Oracle offered me priceless value additions to my administrative abilities. My contributions to the social activities group and canteen committee at Oracle, various clubs such as Marketing, Sponsorships, Publications, Correspondence and National Service scheme at BITS provided me plenty of opportunities to work as a team. The database administrator career offered me invaluable experiences on prioritising tasks, resource allocation, client interaction (requirements understanding, data analysis, solution proposal, negotiation, implementation, etc) and managing information. I picture myself with certain business skills however, I seem to lack a fundamentals-toolkit that will help me build frameworks to counter business problems. I believe that MBA is the best available enhancement to supplement my skills, at this time of my career to make the most of unforeseen opportunities. Given that I do not have a previous business experience, I intend to take up management consulting as a strategic career step immediately after my MBA. I believe that researching and implementing solutions across cross-functional issues will add tremendous experience in terms of having a mindset to run an organization. As part of various consulting assignments, I look forward to cultivate potential contacts and this will have straight significances in advancing me to my second strategic career phase: A top-level position in a small/medium or entrepreneurial venture. Focusing on multiple business units, as a leader, will help me learn to discover opportunities, formulate strategy and manage risks. This will be the final cog in the wheel, before I make my mark in the entrepreneurial and eventually social entrepreneurial arena. I have had many short-term goals that eventually evolved all the way, however, my long-term ambition has been the same.

“Why MBA” question, ironically, turned out to be “Why not an MBA”

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home